Scottish Parliament: Committees: Justice 1: Minutes: Meeting 2, 2001
Author(s): Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body
Copyright holder(s): Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body: © Scottish Parliamentary copyright material is reproduced with the permission of the Queen's Printer for Scotland on behalf of the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body.
2nd Meeting, 2001 (Session 1)
Tuesday 30 January 2001
Gordon Jackson (Deputy Convener)
Alasdair Morgan (Convener)
Apologies were received from Paul Martin.
The meeting opened at 2.01 pm.
1. Declaration of Interests: No member had any relevant interest to declare.
2. Convention Rights (Compliance) (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee considered areas of questioning on the general principles of the Bill at Stage 1.
3. Item in private: The Committee agreed to take item 8 in private.
4. Convention Rights Compliance (Scotland) Bill: The Committee took evidence on the general principles of the Bill at Stage 1 from-
Niall Campbell, Head of Criminal and Civil Law Group, Ian Allen, Head of Legal Aid Branch, Jacqueline Conlan, Head of the Bill team, Jane Richardson, Criminal Justice Division, Gillian Russell and Stuart Foubister, both of the Solicitor's Office, Scottish Executive;
John Scott, Chair, Scottish Human Rights Centre;
Susan Matheson, Chief Executive, Donald Dickie, Senior Manager (Policy and Standards), SACRO (Safeguarding Communities - Reducing Offending).
5. Proposed Protection from Abuse Bill: The Committee agreed that the Convener should now instruct the Non-Executive Bills Unit to draft its proposed Committee Bill on Protection from Abuse.
6. Subordinate Legislation: The Committee considered and noted the following negative instrument -
The Births, Deaths, Marriages and Divorces (Fees) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2000 (SSI 2000/447)
7. Petitions: The Committee considered the following petitions-
PE89 by Eileen McBride. The Committee agreed to consider whether an individual should be informed that a request to view an enhanced criminal record certificate has been made at its next meeting.
PE265 by George McAulay on behalf of the UK Men's Movement. The Committee agreed to consult relevant organisations on the issue of anonymity of the accused in cases of rape and sexual offences against children. The Committee agreed that the Clerks should compile a list of organisations to be contacted, and that the list should be circulated to members for approval.
8. Committee Operation (in private): The Committee considered how it will operate, and how it will interact with the Justice 2 Committee. The Committee agreed to a paper on this matter by the Clerk and that this paper should be distributed to members of both Committees.
The meeting closed at 4.08 pm.
Lynn Tullis, Clerk to the Committee
This work is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.
The SCOTS Project and the University of Glasgow do not necessarily endorse, support or recommend the views expressed in this document.
Cite this Document
Scottish Parliament: Committees: Justice 1: Minutes: Meeting 2, 2001. 2021. In The Scottish Corpus of Texts & Speech. Glasgow: University of Glasgow. Retrieved January 2021, from http://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk/document/?documentid=1135.
"Scottish Parliament: Committees: Justice 1: Minutes: Meeting 2, 2001." The Scottish Corpus of Texts & Speech. Glasgow: University of Glasgow, 2021. Web. January 2021. http://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk/document/?documentid=1135.
The Scottish Corpus of Texts & Speech, s.v., "Scottish Parliament: Committees: Justice 1: Minutes: Meeting 2, 2001," accessed January 2021, http://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk/document/?documentid=1135.
If your style guide prefers a single bibliography entry for this resource, we recommend:
The Scottish Corpus of Texts & Speech. 2021. Glasgow: University of Glasgow. http://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk.